Good Morning! I’m Michele. It’s SO nice to meet you. As I’m writing this first blog post for Michele & Co. Decorated Sweets, I do realize that there is probably nobody reading this today or maybe even this week. Okay, fine….maybe this month? I’m forever the optimist, so I’m not worried. Besides, I’m pretty sure that The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins are going to eventually catch some attention. Because CHOCOLATE CHIPS! And MUFFINS!
Let’s talk about these muffins and then I’m going to tell you about me so we can get better acquainted. These muffins are made with cream cheese which makes them delicious. I LOVE adding cream cheese to recipes. It just makes everything better in my book. One bite of these pillowy, chocolatey and tangy muffins and you will be hooked. Trust me my new friends. Not only are they delicious, but they are so easy to whip up a batch for breakfast or an afternoon treat. Mother’s Day is coming as well, so put this recipe on your brunch menu!
I think I covered most things in my about page, but here are some little tidbits about me……
Last June 2016 I decided to change my lifestyle and I lost 53 pounds and added exercise to my life. I’m not new to blogging. I had another dessert blog for about a year called Alwayz Bakin’. Although I loved it, I needed to get healthy and baking sweets every day was not helping me.
Throughout my weight loss journey I still ate sweets all the time. Instead of eating five cookies, I ate two. Instead of a two-cup bowl of ice cream, I had a half cup, or a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or chocolate bar. I wanted to be able to eat sweets and have control. I find that these days I really don’t need them as much as I used to but I still love baking!
When I first started to lose weight I was walking every day. That helped me SO much. I walked and walked and walked and walked. I walked about six days a week. Since I live in Florida, it rains a lot here. I bought a treadmill for those days. After reaching my goal weight, the walking wasn’t challenging me anymore so I decided to give running a try. I used a free app called Couch to 5K to train myself and after eight weeks I was able to run the whole 5K in my neighborhood. I cannot tell you how proud I felt. I will be officially running my first real 5K on April 29, 2017.
When I’m not running and trying out my favorite light recipes, I’m baking up my favorite dessert recipes. So today I leave you with The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line standard-size muffin pan with cupcake/muffin liners of your choice. If you do not have liners, grease and flour each muffin cavity.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and chocolate chips into creamed mixture until just moistened.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer to wire rack until cooled.